Paws & People- Living Ruff or doing it Tough in S.A
Keeping pets and people together
During the time I have been observing and participating in rescue, I have noted that often people doing it tough financially have no option but to surrender their beloved dog to a rescue or shelter when they can’t afford vet fees.
Rescues and shelters do a wonderful thing in covering the dogs medical costs and needs and then finding them a great new home – but wouldn’t it be great if the dog could be helped to stay in their current home with an owner who loves them and to whom they provide companionship, love and often the only reason to keep going.
In other cases, people can’t even afford the surrender fees – and so, have no option but to dump their animal. Sometimes the dog is very old or very unwell and their owner can not even afford to put them to sleep – humanely and safely.
People living rough on the street often have dogs – who provide them with company, love and loyalty – and are there for them when no-one else is. They will often feed their dog before themselves.
At Hope Springs Eternal, we are expanding our scope to include providing assistance and services to those doing it tough or living rough to help them keep their best friend (their dog) healthy and happy,
We have created a program to focus on these issues:
We would like to make a difference by doing the following things:
- Distributing Ruff Rover Packs
- Establishing Vet Clinics
- Providing financial assistance for Vet Bills
- Providing short term boarding for those who need to go into hospital or find alternative accommodation
- Establishing a pet medical fund to assist people who cannot afford vet fees
- Providing short term boarding for those who need to go into hospital or find alternative accommodation – where they have no family supports or networks to assist
How can you help?